GORGEOUS PALM FROM NEW CALEDONIA
USUALLY HAVE NICE NEW PURPLE-RED LEAF
Shown is a nice example of a 5 gallon size of Chambeyronia hookeri with its blonde colored crown shaft. I’ve found that this species throws just as red (sometimes even more intense) new leaf compared to Chambeyronia macrocarpa. This species is hard to find. It is different in appearance from the dark green crown shafted form seen on C. macrocarpa. Here’s some facts about this species:
• Growth habit and care about the same as macrocarpa
• Along the coast will tolerate full sun if you’re are not too far inland
• Crown shaft is yellow-tan colored and quite prominent
• Cold tolerance is about 23 degrees
• Growth rate on this species like macrocarpa is slow to medium but improves once planted in the ground.
• Trunk diameter is about 8 inches typically and overall height of mature plants is about 25 feet
• Leaflets are shiny green, thick and sturdy, and quite wide as shown
• Like macrocarpa, about 95% of the time throws newly emerging red leaf as shown here. Rarely a plant will not throw new red leaves and there’s no way of predicting this.
• Also makes a great interior palm inside the home
|We have very limited numbers available of this species and also have a few 15 gallon size. Of course, not all will have a red new leaf at this time. Mention this Special at the time of purchase for this discounted price. The crown shaft photo below is by TS at RPS and the new red leaf by the roof is by D.L.